Harry B. Steinbach obtained his veterinary medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine in the 1930's.Upon graduation, he went into practice with his brother in Norristown. In the early 1940's, he opened his own practice on Skippack Pike in Blue Bell, PA, a few miles west of the current location. In 1945, Dr. Steinbach bought a house and barn situated on 17 acres of property in Broad Axe, and began construction of the hospital. At that time, it was a rather revolutionary concept to build a designated veterinary hospital.
Steinbach Veterinary Hospital was a large and small animal veterinary practice. "Doc" administered to the large animals on numerous local farms. He was also quite involved in dog showing, judging dog shows, and he catered to various breeders. He bred and raised show ponies on the "Broad Axe Farm".
Doc Steinbach continued to operate the practice until his death in the late 1970's.